I like lists. I have a special red notebook where I keep lists of things to be done and I love nothing more than writing little tasklets in there and then CROSSING THEM OUT WHEN DONE. That FROG AND TOAD book where they do that on the dirt with sticks is my favorite. So I thought I would make a small list here. Not of Tasks I Have to Do (if you must know: Laundry. Dishes. Get rid of That Stain in the Sink), but a list of Things I Love That I Feel Everyone Should Love. I am not talking the big stuff, like Humankind and the Universe, etc and etc. (Though I am all for Humankind and the Universe, in general, even if I struggle with Humankind sometimes like when that lady COMPLETELY CUT ME IN LINE AT THE SHAW’S MARKET DO YOU THINK THIS FULL BASKET IS A PURSE, WOMAN.)
So here is my:
LIST OF THINGS I LOVE THAT I FEEL EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD LOVE, TOO: DON’T ARGUE WITH ME:
1. Automatic pencils with #7 soft lead and an excellent eraser. When I was in second grade, we watched this terrific little movie about a Prince of Handwriting whom an evil wizard tried to thwart by giving him an ensorcelled pencil to make his handwriting terrible. Well, guess who overcame the ensorcelled pencil and won out with his wonderful handwriting in the end, ANYWAY? Nothing makes me feel more like a Princess of Handwriting than an automatic pencil with #7 soft lead and an excellent eraser. And anyone who has seen my handwriting knows I need all the help I can get. It is pretty ensorcelled-looking.
2. Gymnastics! You knew that would be on here. But what other sport do you get to be all twisty and flippy and fly through the air like an angel? None, I tell you. Don’t argue with me. I am really right about this. There is data. Namely and to wit: a line plot of “Is Gymnastics the Best Sport?” with a big X representing me in the Yes column. Watch these and tell me I am wrong.
3. Dogs. Don’t even. They are right up there with the pencils. 😉
4. Whales, elephants, and all the major apes. In fact, I love these so much I can’t even watch documentaries about them because I get Too Involved. I have this wonderful set of lectures I downloaded about the Great Apes a year ago and I can’t listen to them either. But I will steel myself at some point.
5. Cookies would go here, but I talk too much about them already. But you should really make these. Like lasagna and my hair, they are better the second day. Trust me. About the cookies; do not worry about my hair. There is about as much hope for that as there is for my handwriting.
6. You’d think I’d put Writing-writing here, but HAR HAR HAR.
7. Lastly, because seven is one of my favorite numbers and definitely one of my favorite words, so I can make this one a twofer: typing on the computer. I do not mean like Writing-writing. I mean typing on the computer when you have just painted your nails so they look like little candies flashing on the keyboard. The pleasure of that can trick you into Writing-writing sometimes, too. In fact, it just did, and I wrote a whole blog post. Hee!
I always like new favorite things so feel free to tell me about yours in the comments. I will try not to argue with you.